Sunday 30 March 2014

Old Frame, First Routine, Part 1

One thing that has always fascinated me of Chinese martial arts are poetic names that are given to the various moves and positions. The white heron spreads its wings. The green dragon emerges from the water. The monkey stealing apples from the sacred tree. And many more. These names typically have roots in Chinese mythology and somehow describe the movement. 

For  curiosity a for completeness I decided to study the 74 movements in the form that I learned in China, the form 74, said Lao Jia Yi Lu (first routine of the old frame) and that you can review here or here.

I'm not writing here all 74 movements... it seems to me excessive. We will present them in different posts, but let's start with the first 4.

1) Tai ji qi Shi - Begin Taiji


2) Jin Gang Dao Dui - Buddha's Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar. This name deserves a few words of explanation. Aside from the fact that at the moment is the movement of which I have seen more variations. Jing Gang,translated as "the Buddhist warrior", is in fact a particular Buddhist warrior. It's that warrior that typically guard the temples. Looking on the internet, however, I also found another explanation. It seems that Jin Gang also means "very hard", inflexible, like a diamond. This actually makes the idea of ​​movement, culminating in beating the right fist on the left open hand, in a position of great firmness and stability.


3) Lan Zha Yi - Lazily Tying Coat 


4) Liu Feng Si Bi - Six Sealings and Four Closings. It is not just that there are 10 movements (or at least I think), but it seems that the general meaning is "the guard of this position is so secure that you cannot pass." Evidently refers to the application martial. It would have to be applied, as many of the applications Tai Chi, in close fight.

At the moment I think it can be enough.
May the Force be with us.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI, thanks for sharing. Where are the other 14 moves?

Simone said...

Actually these are only the first 4 movements... I hope one day I will have time to finish the list and adding some image or video. But I am afraid it will not be soon.